2 tbsp grapeseed oil
2 red onions, diced
1 head of cauliflower
3 roasted garlic cloves
1 fresh garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp garlic & herb butter
1.5 litres vegetable stock
Up to 1/4 cup Bella Vitano Balsamic Cheese or grana padano cheese
Salt to season to taste
1 tbsp corn flour/starch (optional – for thickening)
1. In a large heavy based stock pot, add oil, onions, cauliflower and potatoes and fry until the vegetables start to caramelise.
2. Add the garlic (roasted and fresh), nutmeg, black pepper and garlic & herb butter and continue to fry for 2 minutes.
3. Pour the stock and water over the caramelised vegetables and bring to the boil, then simmer on a low heat for 30 minutes or until all vegetables are soft.
4. Turn off the heat and use a bar mix to blend the soup until smooth.
5. Add 1/4 cup Bella Vitano or grana padano cheese and mix until the cheese has melted into the soup and become one with it.
6. At this point, if you have found you would like your soup a little thicker, take out 2 cups of soup and place in a separate bowl. Whisk in 1 tbsp of corn flour/starch until smooth, then reincorporate into the pot of soup. This will ensure there are no nasty flour lumps.
7. Place back on the heat and stir constantly while it simmers for a further 5 minutes – or until it has reached your desired consistency.
I like to serve mine with slices of cauliflower that have been lightly fried in herb and garlic butter, as well as a generous grating of fresh parmesan.
My current obsession is Bella Vitano Balsamic by Sartori Cheese.