The inspiration behind this recipe is one that is all too common in our household; ingredients that need using up and my need to bake.
So, there’s no fancy back story today, it’s just the tale of some fresh lemons, some blueberries that need using up and the urge to curb my sweet cravings with cardamon infused goodness.
LEMON, CARDAMON and BLUEBERRY GALETTE
100g plain gluten free flour
150g almond meal
3 egg yolks
200g butter, at room temperature
150g caster sugar
Zest of 1 lemon
1 tbsp psyllium husks
1/4 tsp ground cardamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
40g flaked almonds
250g fresh blueberries
1. In a large bowl combine gluten free plain flour, almond meal, sugar, lemon zest, cardamon, psyllium husks, vanilla, egg yolks and butter. Mix until well incorporated and a soft dough has formed. Cover in cling wrap and place in the fridge to rest for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 200 degrees celsius and line the bottom of a tart tin with baking paper.
3. Remove the dough from the fridge and halve.
5. Sprinkle 40g of flaked almonds over a piece of baking paper, then take one half of the dough, place it on the flaked almond lined baking paper and roll into a flat disk (approximately 1/2 cm thick). You will need to roll the dough between two pieces of baking paper.
4. Take the almond studded disk of dough and press into the base of the tart tin.
5. Scatter the fresh blueberries into the centre of the dough lined tart tin (leave approx. 1cm – 2cm clear around the edge of the tart tin, this will ensure a good seal to the galette).
6. Take the other half of the dough and roll into a second flat disk, then position this over the blueberries, sealing the top edges to the bottom edges by gently pressing with your fingers or a fork.
6. Place the galette into the oven and bake at 200 degrees celsius for 20 minutes, then lower the temperature to 175 degrees celsius and bake for a further 35 – 40 minutes, or until golden brown.
7. Leave to cool in the tart tin for 20 minutes, then carefully remove from tin and place on a cooling rack until completely cool.
I love to serve it with a big dollop of freshly churned ice cream or a big dollop of cream and warm cup of tea.